What is openNURBS?
This guide gives an overview of the openNURBS toolkit.
The openNURBS Initiative provides CAD, CAM, CAE, and computer graphics software developers the tools to accurately transfer 3-D geometry between applications.
The openNURBS Toolkit consists of C++ source code for a library that will read and write openNURBS 3D model files (.3dm). More than 400 software development teams and applications, including Rhinoceros®, exchange 3D models using the openNURBS (.3dm) file format.
The openNURBS Toolkit is intended for C++ and .NET programmers. The toolkit includes complete source code to create a library that will read and write 3DM files. The toolkit also includes source code for several example programs.
The tools provided by openNURBS include:
- C++ source code libraries to read and write the 3DM file format. The current Microsoft, Apple and Gnu compilers for Windows, Windows x64, Mac, and Linux are supported..
- .NET source code to read and write the 3DM file format.
- Quality assurance and revision control.
- Technical support.
Technically, the openNURBS toolkit is made up of:
- openNURBS 5 C++ source SDK for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android and Linux.
- openNURBS 5 .NET SDK also known as “Rhino3dmIO”
- Sample 3D files
Currently, the openNURBS Toolkit reads and writes all information in Rhino version 2, 3, 4 and 5 files and reads Rhino version 1 files.
Additionally, the openNURBS Toolkit provides NURBS evaluation tools and elementary geometric and 3D view manipulation tools.
Unlike other open development initiatives, alliances, or consortia:
- Commercial use is encouraged.
- The tools, support, and membership are free.
- There are no restrictions. Neither copyright nor copyleft restrictions apply.
- No contribution of effort or technology is required from the members, although it is encouraged.
Although the openNURBS toolkit appears to be a full-featured geometry library, it is not. The toolkit does not include a number of important features, including:
- Closest point calculations
- Intersection calculations
- Surface tessellation (meshing)
- Area and mass property calculations
- Other miscellaneous geometry calculations
openNURBS is an open source toolkit for only reading and writing 3DM models. Our full-featured development platform is Rhinoceros®. All of the above features are found in the Rhino SDKs, the toolkit used to build plugins for Rhino.
Who is funding the openNURBS Initiative and why?
Robert McNeel & Associates. They feel that the 3D market is stifled because of the inability to reliably transfer 3D geometry between applications. The problem is too big for us to solve alone. By funding the operating cost of openNURBS, others will get involved in the toolkit design and development. It will be a much cheaper and effective way to solve the problem.